Mine's

Advance Mine in Sec. 17, T. 40 N., R. 10 W., in the Liberty mining district, 13 1/2 miles southeast of Etna Mills, in the Klamath Reserve.
Comprises 100 acres, patented, on Cow Creek. 400-foot tunnel, drifts and slopes. Equipment consists of 1500-foot tramway, 5-stamp mill, driven by waterpower (water from Russian Creek, through 2 miles of flume). Gold mines - quartz.

Ahlgren see Russian Hill

Allgood and Castell, in Sec. 12, T. 11 N., R. 7 E., in the Liberty mining district, 3 miles southeast of Somes Bar. Comprises 40 acres; slate bedrock;

Anderson, p. 244. Upper Soda Springs, in Sec. 24, T. 39 N., R. 4 W., 2 miles north of Dunsmuir. Owned by George McCloud; water is heavily charged with carbonic acid gas; formation is similar to the Shasta Springs section; water not on the market. 

Antone, formerly known as the Weeks Quarry, in Sec. 2, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., 2 miles northeast of Yreka.
Com prises 160 acres, patented, at an elevation of 2700 feet; occurs in stratified layers from 6 inches to 8 feet thick, and these sheets are pried from the deposit by hand; very little blasting needed; equipment at quarry consists of derrick of 2400 pounds capacity and mining tools; three men employed; stone of good quality, and has been used since 1860; new high school and other buildings in Yreka constructed with this stone; also used for tombstones;

Ascondry , in Sec. 10, T. 46 N., R. 9 W., in Oak Bar mining district, 27 miles west of Hornbrook.
Contains 100 acres; 50-foot shaft; schist bedrock; 8 feet of gravel.

Siskiyou County Mine's

Bailey in Sec. 35, T. 46 N., R. 9 W., in the Deadwood mining district, 7 miles northwest of Fort Jones, at an elevation of 5000 feet. Comprises 80 acres on Indian Creek.

Baines, in Sec. 13, T. 39 N., R. 12 W., in the Liberty mining district, 10 miles southwest of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Forest Reserve. comprises 20 acres on Bear Creek; slate bedrock; 10 to 20 feet of gravel; water from Bear Creek through 1/2 mile of flume;

Baker, in Sec. 15, T. 44 N., R. 9 W., in the Deadwood mining district, 7 1/2 miles north of Fort Jones, at an elevation of 5000 feet. Comprises 60 acres on Indian Creek. Short ore-shoot in slate.
Worked for pockets. 300-feet tunnel. Old 5-stamp mill driven by waterpower.


Bark House Creek , in Secs. 23 and 26, in Oak Bar mining district, 26 miles west of Hornbrook in Klamath Reserve. Comprises 200 acres; micaceous schist bedrock; coarse gold found In crevices of bedrock; .

Barton & Barham, in Sec. 18, T. 46 N., R. 9 W., in the Oak Bar mining district; comprises 160 acres, located in 1913; massive deposit in schist;


Barton & Lange, in Sec. 22, T. 46 N., R. 9 W., in the Klamath Reserve, 4 miles west of Oak Bar in the Oak Bar mining district, comprises 60 acres of patented land, located in 1890; massive dike with no definite strike or dip; the country rock (schist and diorite), impregnated with cinnabar; deposit 160 feet wide and can be traced 2000 feet; short tunnel and open cuts comprise the workings;

Beaudry in Secs. 3, 11, 34, 35, 30, 26, 2 and 23, T. 39 and 40 N., R. 8 and 9 W., in the Callahan mining district, 1 mile southeast of Callahan in the Klamath Reserve is the best paying hydraulic mine in this distrlct. comprises several of the old placer locations, wlth an area of 640 acres on Scott River and Wildcat Creek; the bedrock is schist; gravel 20 to 60 feet deep; water is obtained from South Fork of Scott River and Wildcat Creek through two ditches, one 15 and the other 2 miles in length; 7 giants, 4000 feet of pipe

Beaver Creek, in Secs. 30 and 31, T. 47 N., R. 7 W., in the Virginia Dale mining district, 2 miles northwest of Gottville on Beaver Creek in Klamath Reserve. comprises 160 acres, pat- ented; slate bedrock;

Beaver Creek, in Sec. 6, T. 46 N., R. 8 W., in the Oak Bar mining district; 28 miles west of Hornbrook. 104 acres patented; 15 feet of gravel; schist bedrock.

Belle Josephine , formerly known as Slide Creek, in Sec 14, T. 39 N., R. 9 W., in the Callahan mining district, 6 miles southwest of Callahan in the Klamath Reserve. comprises 160 acres, on Slide Creek, including the Abers, Carter and other old placer mines, which have been noted producers; schist bedrock; 30 to 50 feet of gravel; water from Slide Creek through a ditch 2 miles long, carrying 1100 inches; equipment consists of four giants, 2500 feet of pipe

Ben Neil , in Sec. 1O, T. 44 N., R. 9 W., in the Deadwood mining district, 11 miles northwest of Fort Jones at an elevation of 7100 feet. . Comprises 40 acres. Short ore shoot in diorite 100-foot tunnel.

Bender , in Sec. 18, T. 42 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining dis- trict 4 miles north of Etna Mills, in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 40 acres, at an elevation of 3300 feet. Short ore-shoot in limestone and diorite. 340-foot tunnel and 250 feet of drifts.
Berry see Evans


Big Ledge , formerly known as the Lewis, in Sec. 8, T. 43 N., R. 9 W., in the Oro Fino mining district, 6 miles northeast of Greenview. Comprises 20 acres. Pockets in diabase. One ore- shoot is 100 feet long and 15 inches wide; 360-foot tunnel

Big Slide , in Sec. 19, T. 46 N., R. 8 W., in the Oak Bar mining district, 28 miles west of Hornbrook in the Klamath Forest Reserve. comprises 20 acres of land; schist bedrock

Black Bear, discovered in 1860, is the most noted and largest quartz producer in Siskiyou County. It is in Sec. 13, T. 39 N., R. 12 W., in the Liberty mining district; 9 miles south of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Reserve. .
The holdings comprise 70 acres of patented ground, consisting of the Black Bear, South Black Bear and Yellow Jacket claims, with 10 acres for millsite; workings consist of tunnels and two shafts; altitude, 3600 feet; water supply from Black Bear and Auges Creek, through two flumes, each 1 mile long, and 1600 feet of pipe; length along lode, 4500 feet; length of ore shoot, 150 feet; width of ore shoot, 3 feet; footwall, slate; hanging-wall, slate; number veins, two. Black Bear and east and west crossing at right angles. six tunnels from 100 to 700 feet long; old shaft 550 feet deep (six levels); new shaft on Black Bear claim is 475 feet deep (size 10' x 4'), sunk at an angle of 45' (3 levels); 4000 feet of drifts from old shaft, all to the west, 16 stamp mill, performed on Back Bear claim; good wagon road from Sawyer's Bar to the mine.

Black Butte Mountain Deposits The Black Butte Mountain Deposits near Ager, and the Kosh Creek deposits near Glazier along Kosh Creek in T. 38 N., R. 1 E.,

Black Hawk, in Sec. 31, T. 46 N., R. 7 W., in Virginia Bar mlning district; 5 miles north of Gottville in Klamath Reserve. Comprises 40 acres; formation granite and schist; ore found in small pockets; 100 foot tunnel;

Black Lead see Blue Gravel

Blake see Whistle Bar
Blind Lode , in Sec. 18, T. 43 N., R. 9 W., in the Oro Fino mining District; 5 1/2 miles northeast of Greenview. Comprises 20 acres of patented land, located in 1876; 150-foot ore shoot, 6 inches wide in diabase; four tunnels, longest being 600 feet; some rich ore extracted;

Bloomer , in Secs. 33 and 34, T. 11 N., R. 7 E., in the Liberty mining district, 6 miles northwest of Forks of Salmon in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 51 acres of patented land; bed- rock is schist; worked extensively years ago and was good producer.

Blue Gravel, formerly known as the Black Lead, in Sec. 32, T. 45 N.. R 7 W., in the Greenhorn mining district, 2 miles south of Yreka in Klamath Reserve. Comprises 200 acres, located in 1888; it was a famous placer producer at one time; slate bedrock; 10 feet of gravel; about 60 acres have been worked.

Blue Hill , in Sec. 16, T. 45 N., R. 10 W., in the Scott Bar mining district, 1/8 mile south of Scott Bar in the Klamath Reserve. comprises 20 acres, along Scott River; slate bedrock; 20 to 40 feet gravel; water from Mill Creek through a ditch 1/2 mile long; equipment one giant and 1000 feet of pipe; worked on a small scale.

Blue Jay , in Sec. 11, T. 47 N., R. 8 W., in Virginia Bar mining district; 5 1/2 miles north of Gottville in Klamath Reserve. Comprise 160 acres of patented land, purchased from Southern Pacific Railroad Company; formation, schist and diorite; one vein 150 feet long and 5 feet wide; low grade; two tunnels, 250 and 400 feet long; 10-stamp mill built by Union Iron Works; 1000-pound stamps; two Johnson concentrators; water power and steam; 2 1/2 mile ditch from North Fork of Empire Creek;

Blue Lead , in Sec. 26, T. 42 N., R. 9 W., in the Liberty mining district, 5 miles southeast of Etna Mills in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 40 acres of patented land; short ore- shoot in diabase; rich on the surface; 580-foot tunnel, old 80-foot shaft and drifts comprise several hundred feet of development work; old 4-stamp mill (650-pound stamp);

Blue Ledge Mine, is located in Sec. 21, T. 48 N., R. 11 W., M. D. M., in the Elliott mining district in the Siskiyou Mountain range and near the boundary line 818 between California and Oregon. Elevation at mine is 4000 feet. Hutton is the nearest post office. The mine is connected by wagon road with Joe Bar, an old placer camp. The ore occurs in a north and south vein, dip vertical, its outcrop being traceable for 3000 feet; walls are micaceous schist. Ore consists of pyrite, chalcopyrite and other sulphides and oxides of iron and copper, the average value being above 6% copper Two main tunnels 250 feet apart are connected by winzes and stopes; both show ore and have intermediate drifts showing over 150 feet in a solid body 40 feet wide in places. The workings comprise over 3000 feet of development.

Bonanza in Sec. 14, T. 46 N., R. 7 W., in Cottonwood mining district; 10 miles southwest of Hornbrook in Klamath Reserve. discovered in 1883 by C. Dovey; formation hornblende schist and granodiorite; short ore- shoot; pocket mine; 1600-foot tunnel; equipment, 5-foot Huntington mill;


Bowersox , in Sec. 2, T. 11 N., R. 7 E., in the Liberty mining district at Somes Bar in Klamath Reserve. com- prises 40 acres; schist bedrock; 20 feet of gravel.

Boyle , in Sec. 8, T. 45 N., R. 8 W., in the Humbug mining district 14 miles west of Yreka in the Klamath Reserve. 100 acres located in 1880; two parallel veins, strike N. 40- W., and dip 60- S.; ore shoot is 200 feet long and 2 feet wide; formation is slate; five tunnels from 40 to 900 feet in length;

Brazil, in Sec. 11, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., in the Hawkinsville mining district, 3 miles west of Yreka. in Klamath Forest Reserve; 80 acres, located in 1856; water from Greenhorn ditch; 10 feet of gravel; slate bedrock

Brown & George , in Sec. 1, T. 38 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty min- ing district, 14 miles southeast of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 40 acres on Shattuck Creek; schist bedrock; 10 to 40 feet of gravel; two giants and 1000 feet of pipe.

Brown Bear , formerly known as Golden and Eveleth's, in Sec. 2, T. 39 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining district; 3 miles southeast of Sawver's Bar in the Klamath Reserve. comprises 100 acres on White's Gulch at an elevation of 3100 feet; 160- foot ore shoot, 18 inches wide, with a course of N. 20- E. and dip of 25- E.; 480-foot tunnel, drifts and stope; 4-stamp mill, driven by water power, from White's Gulch through 1 1/2 miles of ditch and 1/2 mile of flume.

Brusse, in Sec. 34, T. 17 N., R. 7 E., in the Happy Camp mining district, 3 miles north of Happy Camp on Indian Creek. discovered in 1899; not in place, but pieces of float weighing several pounds found along the creek; associated with serpentine; resembles the Heighway mineral.

Buckeye Bar, formerly known as Jackson, in Sec. 9. T. 46 N., R. 9 W., in Oak Bar mining district, 26 miles west of Hornbrook. in Klamath Reserve; bedrock is schist; gravel is 10 feet deep. 2 miles of ditch from McKinney Creek; contains 60 acres.

Burton, in Sec. 17, T. 43 N., R. 9 W., in the Oro Fino mining district, 4 miles northeast of Greenview comprises 40 acres, discovered in 1889; large limestone deposit having a width of 1000 feet, but only 15 feet thick; limestone burned in kiln made of rocks, having the arch-shape form; capacity of kiln, 6 tons in five days; good grade o

C

California Bar, in Sec. 18, T. 46 N., R. 6 W., in the Cottonwood mining district, 9 miles southwest of Hornbrook in Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 20 acres on old river bar; bedrock is slate; old shafts caved. water from Klamath River through a ditch 1 1/2 miles long;

California Consolidated , formerly known as the Golden Ball mine, in Secs. 16 and 17, T. 39 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining district; 3 1/2 miles southwest of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 384 acres, 17 being patented; has been a producer and some ore still in sight, but no system of mining was pursued, so that much useless work was per- formned; altitude, 3800 to 4700 feet; fissure vein; length of ore shoot 1000 feet; width 6 feet; free milling; strike N. 20- to 40- E., dip 10- to 40- SE.; footwall, slate (soft); hanging-wall, slate; greatest vertical depth below outcrop, 600 feet; length driven on vein, 1000 feet; two levels, one at 50 and other at 125 feet; drifts, 160 feet, from 50-foot level, and 80 feet from 125-foot level; another from Stevens tun- nel is 140 feet northeast and another 250 feet southwest; two crosscuts, 120 feet long; two winzes, each 60 feet deep; seven raises; two stopes in Stevens tunnel, each being 40 feet by 40 feet; (on North Fork of Salmon River at Sawyer's Bar)

Campbell , in Secs. 1, 2, 11, 12, 13 and 14, T. 43 N., R. 10 W., in the Quartz Valley mining district, 6 miles north of Greenview. holdings comprise 1500 acres of patented land, being practically all the placer ground in this district, and includes the old Hull Gulch, Sucker Flat, Smith & Hand, Van Duzen Gulch and Meads Gulch properties; bedrock is quartz-porphyry; gravel from 20 to 80 feet deep; water from Kidder and Shackleford creeks, through two ditches, one 14 and the other 5 miles long; equipment consists of three giants, and 3000 feet of pipe.

Canal Gulch, in Sec. 4, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., in Hawkinsville mining district, 3 miles north of Yreka. in Klamath Forest Reserve; 20 acres, located in 1876; little water; 10 feet of gravel; slate bedrock

Cape Cod , in Secs. 18 and 19, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., in Greenhorn mining district; 6 miles west of Yreka, in the Klamath Forest Reserve. consists of 115 acres (40 acres patented); located in 1885; formation, slate and porphyry; two parallel veins, shoot 300 feet long and 14 inches wide; 300-foot tunnel;

Casey see Klein

Castle Crag - Soda Spring, at Castle Crag. water has a temperature of 53' F., and contains sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, with a trace of iron, silicia, alumina, manganese, barium, lithium, borates, ammonium carbonate;


Cecilville, formerly known as the Sightman, in Sec. 30, T. 38 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining district, 15 miles southeast of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 40 acres on Crawford Creek; schist bedrock; 20 to 60 feet of gravel; water from Crawford Creek through 2 1/2-mile ditch; one giant and 800 feet of pipe;
Central, in Sec. 34, T. 48 N., R. 8 W., in Hungry Creek mining district, 16 miles northwest of Hornbrook. located in 1893, 20 acres. Short ore shoots; ledge 2 feet wide; two tunnels, one 400 feet long; formation, granite and schist

Champion, in Sec. 32, T. 12 N., R. 6 E., 10 1/2 miles from Orleans, in the Cottage Grove mining district in Klamath Reserve. 180 acres, located in 1899; two veins, in porphyry; still in ore in workings; equipment, dwellings and one stamp mill (800-pound stamp) driven by water power, and 2-ton cyanide plant; water from Ten Eyck Creek through 2000 feet of ditch;

Cherry Hill, in Sec. 25, T. 45 N., R. 8 W., in the Greenhorn mining district; 6 1/2 miles southwest of Yreka in Klamath Reserve. several tunnels, longest being 200 feet; formation is diorite and porphyry; old 3-stamp mill, driven by steam power; adjoins Mt. Vernon on the west;

China Creek, formerly known as the Reeves, in Sec. 5, T. 16 N., R. 7 E., in the Happy Camp mining district, 6 miles northeast of Happy Camp in the Klamath Forest Reserve. corn- prises 40 acres of patented land; schist bedrock; 10 to 40 feet of gravel.

China Gulch see Hicks

China Sam took out in one tub, or 5 cubic yards, 8 ounces of gold, valued at $134.

Classic Hill , in Sec. 36, T. 18 N., R. 6 E., in the Happy Camp mining district, 12 miles north of Happy Camp in the Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 43 acres of patented land; schist bedrock; 5 to 30 feet of gravel; water from west branch of Indian Creek through a ditch 5 miles long, carrying 600 inches; equipment con- sists of two giants and 1000 feet of pipe

Colby see Sturn

Columbia, in Sec. 16, T. 45 N., R. 9 W., in the Scott River mining district, 7 miles northeast of Scott Bar in the Klamath Reserve; elevation of 4700 feet. comprises 40 acres, on Old Baldy Mountain; located in 1882; short ore shoot in slate and diabase; workings consist of 700-foot tunnel and 120-foot shaft; ore is free milling near the surface, but base with depth; equipment consists 10-stamp mill driven by steam and water power;

Condensed, in Sec. 12, T. 38 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining district; 15 miles southeast of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Reserve. comprises 60 acres at an elevation of 2400 feet: short ore shoot in granite; little high grade found on footwall side: 220-foot tunnel.

Connor, in Sec. 18, T. 43 N., R. 9 W., in the Oro Fino mining district; 5 miles northeast of Greenview. comprises 20 acres short ore shoot; pay in pockets; 500-foot tunnel;

Consolidated Sciwash , in Sec. 6, T. 44 N., R. 8 W., in the Deadwood mining district, 6 miles north of Fort Jones. comprises 90 acres, patented; on McAdams Creek; quartz-porphyry bedrock; 30 feet of gravel, 450-foot tunnel, and three 50-foot shafts (all caved); good producer at one time.

Copper Queen, in Sec. 3, T. 46 N., R. 7 W., in the Cottonwood mining district, 10 miles northwest of Hornbrook. of Yreka. Comprises 20 acres on Hunter Creek; small ledge in lime and diorite-schist, 110-foot tunnel.

Copper Queen in Sec. 3, T. 46 N., R. 7 W., in the Cottonwood mining district, 10 miles northwest of Hornbrook. of Yreka. Comprises 20 acres on Hunter Creek; small ledge in lime and diorite-schist, 110-foot tunnel.

Crapo, in Sec. 11, T. 10 N., R. 7 E., 3 miles southwest of Forks of Salmon in Klamath Forest Reserve. ; comrises 39 acres of patented ground; slate bedrock; 20 feet of gravel.

Crawley, in Sec. 22, T. 40 N., R. 8 W., in the Callahan mining district, 1 1/2 miles southwest of Callahan in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 60 acres; short ore shoots; pay ore occurring in pockets; in hornblende schist; 600-foot tunnel and 500 feet of drifts, 30-foot stope; old 2-stamp mill, 650-pound stamps:

Cronin , in Sec. 22, T. 40 N., R. 12 W., in thc Liberty mining district, 7 miles west of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 40 acres, patented, on West Fork of Salmon River; slate bedrock; 30 to 100 feet of gravel; water from Boulder Gulch through 2-mile ditch carrying 800 inches; 5 giants, 3000 feet of pipe, derrick and dwellings; good producer at one time.

Cub Bear and Blue Jeans , in Sec. 9, T. 40 N., R. 10 W., in the Liberty mining district, 12 miles southeast of Etna Mills in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 100 acres; elevation 5800 feet; veins, two in number, occur in hornblende schist and quartz-porphyry; three short tunnels and open cuts, and ore being removed from the latter at present; good prospect: 80 tons milled, discovered in 1898 by Chas. Cory.

Cummings , formerly known as the McKeen, in Sec. 36, T. 40 N.. R. 9 W., in the Callahan mining district, 31 miles southwest of Callahan in the Klamath Reserve; has been one of the best quartz produeers in this district. Comprises 200 acres, patented, on Wildcat Creek at an elevation of 4200 feet; strike of the vein is N. 40- E., dip 40- SW.; ore shoots are short, being 130 feet long and 3 feet wide, all in granite; main tunnel is 800 feet long and, together with the drifts, crosscuts and slopes, comprise several thousand feet of work, but no depth has been attained; old Kinkead mill (driven by water power) and a dwelling, on the property; has been a good producer,

Daggett Mine, worked with pick and shovel, from a pit 100 feet square, on bedrock, and 18 feet deep

Davis, formerly known as the Van Brunt, in Sec. 11, T. 16 N., R. 7 E., in the Happy Camp mining district; 1/8 mile southwest of Happy Camp, was located in 1870 and has been worked since that time. and comprises 200 acres of patented land along the Klamath River; the bedrock is schist and the gravel in places is more than 100 feet deep. Water is obtained from the South Fork of Indian Creek, through a ditch 10 miles long, having a capacity of 120 inches equipment consists of three giants, sluice boxes and 2000 feet of pipe;
Davis, in Sec. 12, T. 14 N., R. 6 E., in the Happy Camp mining district, 13 miles southwest of Happy Camp Ledge 20 to 30 feet wide in schist and limestone; short tunnels; ledge not found in place as yet; strong gossan cropping, carrying some gold value; claims on Clear Creek.


Deep Channel, formerly known as Taylor & Maplesden, in Sec. 36, T. 46 N., R. 11 W., in the Hamburg Bar mining district, 1/8 mile west of Hamburg Bar in the Klamath Forest Reserve. comprises 40 acres on the Klamath River; schist bedrock; gravel is from 20 to 50 feet deep; 100-foot tunnel 5' x 7' and 60-foot shaft, 4' x 6'

Dewey, one of the noted quartz mines of Siskiyou County, is located in Sec. 23, T. 42 N., R. 8 W., in the Gazelle mining district; 12 miles southwest of Gazelle in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 100 acres, patented, at an elevation of 6800 feet; the strike of the vein is N. 40' E., dip 30' SE. The ore occurs in granodiorite, having a width of 3 feet; workings consist of a shaft 400 feet deep, a tunnel 920 feet in length, drifts, raises and stopes, all comprising several thousand feet of development work; equipment consists of hoist, dwellings, and old 10-stamp and Huntington mill operated by steam and water power;

Dick Morris, formerly known as the Ramis, in Sec. 35, T. 46 N., R. 11 W., in the Hamburg Bar mining district, 1 3/4 miles northwest of Hamburg Bar in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 40 acres; schist bedrock; 10 to 30 feet of gravel; two giants and 500 feet of pipe. Adjoins Hammer on the north. noted placer producer in the early days; company endeavored to work the bed of Scott River with a small dredge, but did not understand this business and dismantled the boat in 1910 and sold the machinery; property idle since that time; some good ground yet to be worked.

Doolittle, in Sec. 5, T. 17 N., R 8 E., in the Happy Camp mining district, 6 miles northeast of Happy Camp in the Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 40 acres of patented land along the Klamath River; schist bedrock; 30 feet of gravel; 120-foot tunnel, 5' x 7'.

Double Eagle and Little Quartz, in Sec. 26, T. 46 N., R. 9 W., in Oak Bar mining district in Klamath Reserve, 30 miles west of Horn- brook. comprises 20 acres; pocket mine; ore is hornblende schist and granitic-porphyry; 120-foot tunnel

Dunnigan, in Sec. 20, T. 12 N., R. 6 E., in the T-Bar mining district, 36 miles (by trail) south of Happy Camp in the Klamath Forest Reserve. holdings comprise 160 acres, consisting of old benches; portion of land worked in the early days and relocated by J. M. Stickel in 1912; water obtained from T-Bar Creek through ditch 1/4 mile long; bedrock in serpentine and slate; depth of gravel from 10 to 40 feet (loose); equipment consists of two giants, 2000 feet of pipe,

E
 
Eastlick, in Secs. 17 and 18, T. 43 N., R. 9 W., in the Oro Fino mining district, 5 miles northeast of Greenview. comprises 67 acres of patented land; bedrock is quartz-porphyry; 30 to 60 feet of gravel; two ditches from Mill and Kidder creeks, one 6 miles and the other 4 miles long; equipment con- sists of three giants and 2600 feet of pipe;

Eliza, in Secs. 4 and 9, T. 45 N., R. 8 W., in the Humbug mining Naistrict, 15 miles west of Yreka in the Klamath Reserve comprises 100 acres, located in 1865 by D. M.Lash; relocated in 1892 by present owners. Elevation is 4500 feet. There is a good wagon road from the property to Yreka. The location covers the lode for a distance of 4500 feet.
The fissure vein occurs in quartz-porphyry and diabase, the former being the footwall and the latter the hanging-wall. The strike is N. 20' E. and dip 45' E.; ore shoot is 200 feet long and 5 feet wide; a 1400 foot tunnel has been driven on the vein, giving 360 feet of backs; above t his lower tunnel there are four others from 100 to 800 feet in length; there are five stopes in all; equipment consists of dwellings and 10-stamp mill.

Elk Creek, in Sec. 3, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., in Hawkinsville mining district, 6 miles north of Yreka. 100 acres located in 1902, in Klamath Reserve; three parallel veins; 100-foot ore shoot 14 inches wide; formation, slate and porphyry; two tunnels 600 and 450 feet long; 10-stamp mill driven by electricity;

Elk Creek, in Sec. 15, T. 16 N., R. 7 E., in the Happy Camp mining district, 1 mile southwest of Happy Camp in the Klamath Reserve. comprises 60 acres along the Klamath River; schist bedrock; 10 to 40 feet of gravel; 220-foot tunnel, 5' x 7'; paid well at one time.

Elliott, formerly known as the Golden Nugget, in Sec. 20, T. 40 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining district; 3/4 mile north of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Forest Reserve.. Comprises 20 acres, patented, on Jackass Gulch; slate bedrock; 15 to 40 feet of gravel; two giants, 1000 feet of pipe and derrick; water from Jackass Gulch through a flume 1 1/2 miles long; good production in 1911;

Ellston, in Sec. 33, T. 11 N.. R. 7 E., in the Liberty mining dis- trict, 10 miles northwest of Forks of Salmon in Klamath Forest Reserve. comprises 30 acres; slate bedrock; 20 feet of gravel

Empire Bar, in Sec. 2, T. 46 N., R. 7 W., in the Virginia Dale min- ing district, in town of Gottville, in the Klamath Reserve. Owners, : comprises 20 acres, patented; slate bedrock; 862 5 to 8 feet of gravel; old shafts; small steam hoist;

Enterprise , in Sec. 16, T. 46 N., R. 9 W., in Oak Bar mining dis- trict, 24 miles west of Hornbrook. in Klamath Forest Reserve; 40 acres of ground; schist bedrock; 10 feet of gravel.

Espey, in Sec. 25, T. 47 N., R. 9 W., in the Oak Bar mining dis- trict, 30 miles northwest of Hornbrook. in Klamath Reserve; 50 acres of ground; bedrock is schist. Idle on account of lack of water. Farrington, in Sec. 24, T. 40 N., R. 9 W., in the Callahan mining district, 2 1/2 miles southwest of Callahan. comprises 20 acres, located in 1873; massive deposit of limestone; the 866

Evans, formerly known as the Berry, in Sec. 17, T. 8 N., R. 7 E., in the Happy Camp mining district, 5 1/2 miles northeast of Happy Camp in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 20 acres; bedrock is schist, with quartz stringers running through it; depth of gravel is 40 feet; 60 feet tunnel, 5' x 7' feet; only do assessment work; small producer at one time.

Eveleth's see Brown Bear

Everill, in Sec. 26, T. 46 N., R. 11 W., in Hamburg Bar mining district, 4 miles southwest of Hamburg Bar. Comprises 40 acres on the Klamath River; bedrock is slate; 120-foot tunnel on bedrock; old 60-foot shaft; equipment: dwelling, derrick, pipe, sluice boxes; good ground;

Fagundez see Humpback

Farrington, in Sec. 24, T. 40 N., R. 9 W., in the Callahan mining district, 2 1/2 miles southwest of Callahan. Comprises 20 acres, located in 1873; massive deposit of limestone; the 866 867 extent not determined; surface stripped and limestone extracted from open cuts and burned in a small kiln of a capacity of 10 tons in four days; product is of splendid quality and was used in the hotel at Cal- lahan; very little demand for the product.

Fiock Bros. Quarry, in Sec. 13, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., near Yreka; considerable stone removed; face of the quarry shows massive sandstone, nearly horizontal, dipping slightly east; upper bed is 10 feet thick, coarse grained; of a very uniform texture, and tawny in color..
 
Fir Tree, in Secs. 19 and 20, T. 10 N., R. 8 E., in the Liberty mining district, 1 mile southeast of Forks of Salmon in Klamath Forest Reserve comprises 20 acres of patented ground, schist bedrock; 10 feet of gravel; 2 1/2-mile ditch from Salmon River.

Fleetwood and Nannie S., formerly known as Old Jackson, in Sec. 15, T. 45 N., R. 8 W., in the Humbug mining district, 16 miles west of Yreka. comprises 80 acres; short ore shoots in granitic-porphyry; seven tunnels from 5 to 800 feet in length

Forks of Salmon River, in Secs. 16, 17, 18, 13, 7, 8 and 9, T. 10 N.. R. 7 and 8 E., in the Liberty mining district, 1 1/2 miles northeast of Forks of Salmon in the Klamath Forest Reserve, is the largest hydraulic Dam--Forks of Salmon River Mining Company. 850 mine in this district. The holdings comprise 520 acres of old placer locations, which were rich diggings in the early days. This company controls some 4 miles of the old channels and bars along the North Fork of Salmon River. The bedrock is schist, with 20 to 60 feet of gravel covering the same; only about 3 acres of, ground have been worked.
Water is obtained from the North Fork of the Salmon River through a ditch carrying 3800 inches, having a length of 4 miles and a 50-foot pressed overflow dam impounds the water at the intake. The equipment consists of five giants, machine shop, small electrical plant, pipe, derrick

Fort Goff, in Sec. 31, T. 47 N., R. 12 W., in the Seiad mining district, 14 miles west of Hamburg Bar in the Klamath Reserve.comprises 80 acres of patented land along the Klamath Rlver; schist bedrock; 10 to 60 feet of loose gravel; water obtained from Fort Goff Creek through a ditch 1 1/2 miles long carrying 800 inches; equipment consists of two giants and 3100 feet of pipe;

Franklin, in Sec. 16, T. 44 N., R. 9 W., in the Deadwood mining district, 8 miles north of Fort Jones at an elevation of 5500 feet. Comprises 40 acres on Indian Creek; ore shoot is 120 feet long and 22 inches wide, with slate footwall and quartz- porphyry hanging-wall; 600-foot tunnel, drifts and 60-foot stope;


French Bar Placer, in Sec. 17, T. 46 N., R. 10 W., in the Scott River mining district, 1/2 mile northwest of Scott Bar, in the Klamath Forest Reserve. comprises 20 acres, on Scott River; slate bedrock; 20 feet of gravel; 40-foot tunnel, 5' x 7';

French John see Squaw Gulch

G

Gardner and Deming, in Secs. 7 and 18, T. 43 N., R. 9 W., in the Oro Fino mining district, 5 1/2 miles northeast of Greenview. Comprises 150 acres of patented land; bedrock is quartz-porphyry with quartz stringers running through it; 10 to 50 feet of gravel.

Geeshan & Keller, in Sec. 30, T. 40 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining district, 2 miles west of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 20 acres on the Klamath River; slate bedrock; 50 feet of gravel; water from North Fork of Salmon River through 1 1/2-mile flume; one giant, 1200 feet of pipe and derrick;

Gold Hill, in Secs. 28 and 29, T. 40 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty min- ing district, in town of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Reserve. comprises 80 acres on North Fork of Salmon River; slate bedrock; 10 to 80 feet of gravel; water from Eddy's Gulch through 2 miles of ditch; three giants, 1200 feet of pipe and hand derrick; good producer;
Gold Hill, in Secs. 28 and 29, T. 40 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty min- ing district, in town of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 80 acres on North Fork of Salmon River; slate bedrock; 10 to 80 feet of gravel; water from Eddy's Gulch through 2 miles of ditch; three giants, 1200 feet of pipe and hand derrick; good producer; operated during the winter when water is plentiful.


Gold Hill, formerly known as the Gilta, in Sec. 12, T. 9 N., R. 7 E., in the Liberty mining district, in Klamath Reserve, at an eleva- tion of 3500 feet. Comprises 60 acres of pat- ented land; ore shoot is 250 feet long and 3 feet wide, in slate and diorite; several thousand feet development work, consisting of tunnels, crosscuts and stopes; equipment consists of dwellings, and 10-stamp mill operated by steam and water power,

Gold Lead, in Sec. 8, T. 45 N., R. 10 W., in the Scott River mining district, 1 1/4 miles north of Scott Bar in the Klamath Reserve. comprises 20 acres on the Scott River; slate bedrock; 10 to 20 feet of gravel; water from Tom Creek through 1 mile of ditch; 90 feet tunnel (5' x 7'), on bedrock; equipment: car, blacksmith shop, mining tools
Golden see Brown Bear


Golden Ball See California Consolidated

Golden Eagle See Sheba

Golden Eagle Bibl.: Report VIII. p. 600; XIII, p.403. Golden Eagle, formerly known as the Sheba, in Sec. 7, T. 44 N.. R. 9 W., in the Deadwood mining district; 10 miles north of Fort Jones; was one of the producers in this section. comprises 80 acres, patented; ore shoots are 200 feet long and 15 inches wide, with diabase footwall and quartz- porphyry hanging-wall; 750-foot tunnel, drifts and stopes, making sev- eral thousand feet of development work; the equipment, consisting of 50 h.p. boiler and 5-stamp mill,

Golden Nugget see Elliott

Golden Seal, in Sec. 18, T. 43 N., R. 9 W., in the Oro Fino minin~ district, 5 miles northeast of Greenview at an elevation of 3200 feet. Comprises 20 acres, located in 1885; 300-foot ore shoot 8 inches wide, in syenite and quartz-porphyry; 525-foot tunnel on thc vein; a few pockets of high grade taken out.

Golden West, formerly known as the King, in Sec. 15, T. o9 N.. R. 10 W., in the Sal~non River mining district, 13 miles west of Callahan, in the lilamath Reserve. Comprises 60 acres on Trail Creek at an elevation of 7000 feet; fissure vein in schist: 200-foot tunnel, still in ore; one man is employed; good prospect, with well-defined ledge of free milling ore, 4 feet wide and running from $8 to $15 per ton;

Gordon, in Sec. 17, T. 18 N ., R. 7 E., in the Happy Camp mining district, 5 miles northeast of Happy Camp in Klamath Reserve. Comprises 60 acres; schist bedrock; 30 feet of gravel; three men employed during operating season; yearly production about $4000.

Grey Eagle, (formerly known as the Dewey), in Sec. 4, T. 17 N., R. 7 E., in the Happy Camp mining district, 8 miles northwest of Happy Camp. Comprises 240 acres, patented; on Indian Creek at an elevation of 2550 feet; a strong vein from 10 to 80 feet wide in schist with a northwest and southeast strike and a dip of 45' E.; ore shoot over 300 feet long, consisting of chalcopyrite and pyrite; eight tunnels from 50 to 600 feet in length, six being crosscuts and two on the ledge; and several hundred feet of drifts and raises; large tonnage blocked out; ore carries from 2 1/2% to 18% copper and $1.50 per ton in gold; strong gossan croppings on the sur- face; five men employed; property located in l892 and sold to present company in 1908.

Grider, in Secs. 12, 15, 10, 14 and 11, T. 46 N., R. 12 W., in the Seiad mining district, 9 miles southwest of Hamburg Bar in Klamath Reserve. Comprises 245 acres, patented; on the Klamath River; schist bedrock; 10 to 40 feet of gravel; water from Grider Creek through 3-mile ditch of a capacity of 240 inches; equip- ment consists of dwellings, two giants and 1500 feet of pipe;

Griffin Onyx Quarries are situated 6 miles south of Berryvale.
Grizzly Gulch, in Sec. 14, T. 44 N., R. 9 W., in the Deadwood mining district, 10 miles north of Fort Jones at an elevation of 7000 feet. Comprises 60 acres; short ore shoots in diabase;


Gumboot, in Sec. 15, T. 45 N., R. 9 W., 8 miles east of Scott Bar, in the Scott River mining district in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 40 acres; ore is base with depth (some chalcopy- rite), occurring in slate; length of ore shoot not determined; 120-foot tunnel; 60-foot shaft;

Haley , formerly known as the Halstead, in Sec. 7, T. 16 N., R. 7 E., in the Happy Camp mining district, 10 miles southwest of Happy Camp in Klamath Reserve. comprises 40 acres of pat- ented land; schist bedrock; 10 to 30 feet of gravel; some boulders and some cement.

Halstead see Haley

Hammer, in Secs. 36, 1 and 4, T. 46 N., R. 11 W., in the Hamburg Bar mining district, 1/2 mile west of Hamburg Bar in the Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 60 acres along the Klamath River; schist bedrock; 30 to 40 feet of gravel; water from Kuntz and Mill creeks through a 3-mile ditch; four giants, 1000 feet of pipe,
Hansen, formerly known as Knownothing Creek, in Secs. 1 and 12, T. 9 N., R. 7 E., in the Liberty mining district, 8 1/2 miles southwest of Forks of Salmon, in Klamath Reserve. Comprises 60 acres of patented land, located in 1880; short ore shoot, in slate and quartz-porphyry; several tunnels, longest being 850 feet,
Happy Home, formerly known as the Maplesden, in Sec. 31, T. 46 N., R. 10 W., in the Hamburg Bar mining district in the Klamath Forest Reserve, 1/4 mile east of Hamburg Bar. comprises 40 acres on the Klamath River; schist bedrock; large portion of this ground has been worked; good pay on bedrock;


Hardscrabble, in Sec. 17, T. 40 N., R. 10 W., in the IJiberty mining district, 14 miles southeast of Rtna Mills in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 140 acres, at an ~; elevation of 6100 feet j length of ore shoot not determined; country rock -~ in dioritic-schist; 400-foot tunnel;

Hardscrabble, in Secs. 1 and 12, T. 44 N., R. 9 W., in the Dead- wood mining district, 6 miles north of Fort Jones. Comprises 20 acres, patented, on McAdams Creek; quartz-por- phyry

Hazel, in Sec. 25, T. 47 N., R. 8 W., in the Cottonwood mining district, 4 miles southwest of Hornbrook, is the only large producer in this district.Ccomprises 80 acres of patented land in the Klamath National Forest Reserve at an elevation of 2800 feet. There are three veins, known as the Potato Patch, "C" and Hazilett, which occur in the slate, the last two being practically parallel. The ore shoot is 150 feet long and 3 feet in 834
Hi You, in Sec. 29, T. 44 N., R. 8 W., in the Deadwood mining dis- trict, 8 miles north of Fort Jones. comprises 40 acres, patented, on Deadwood Creek; quartz-porphyry bedrock; 30 to 50 feet of gravel; water from Deadwood Creek through a ditch 1 1/4 miles long; two giants and 2000 feet of pipe; good producer .


Hicks, formerly known as China Gulch. In Sec. 2, T. 46 N., R. 7 W., 7 miles northwest of Hornbrook in the Klamath Reserve. . Comprises 40 acres. Ore shoot said to be 600 feet long. but only 3 inches wide on the surface, occurring in granite. Surface stripped of overburden and ore exposed a few feet below, which was crushed in an arrastra; 150-foot tunnel; 8-foot arrastra, run by water power; tailings impounded (150 tons on hand),

Highland, in Sec. 25, T. 46 N., R. 7 W., in the Cottonwood mining district, 3 miles west of Hornbrook in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 60 acres; ore shoot is 125 feet long and 10 inches wide, being free milling and high grade; formation is slate; 1500-foot tunnel on the vein; idle at present; discovered in 1903 by Donnelly Bros.;

Highland, in Sec. 16, T. 40 N., R. 10 W., in the Liberty mining district, 11 miles southeast of Etna Mills in the Klamath Reserve, is one of the noted quartz mines of this county. Comprises 100 acres at an elevation of 6400 feet. Supplies are brought over a 3-mile trail by means of pack animals, ore shoots are about 130 feet long and 2 feet wide, having a strike of N. 40' E and a dip of 30' SE.; footwall is dioritic-schist and hang- ing-wall is quartz-porphyry; workings consist of tunnels, the main tunnel having a length of 600 feet; there are several thousand feet of development work, all near the apex of the mountain, so that only a shallow depth has been obtained; equipment consists of cars, mining tools, assay office, dwellings, and a 10-stamp mill (modern pattern) run by gasoline; discovered in 1899

Highland, known also as the Old Highland. In Sec. 12, T 39 N., R. 10 W., in the Salmon River mining district, 12 1/2 miles northwest of Callahan in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 60 acres on Trail Creek; fissure vein between walls of granite and schist, being an extension of the Trail Creek ledge; 200-foot tunnel, and 400 feet of drifts; Trail Creek prospect to the south.

Hoboken, in Sec. 21, T. 45 N., R. 8 W., in the Deadwood mining district, 11 miles north of Fort Jones. Com- prises 40 acres, patented, on Cherry Creek; 120-foot ore shoot, 10 inches wide, with diabase foot and slate hanging-walls; 600-foot tunnel and 250-foot drift; small producer at one time, the ore being crushed in an arrastra;

Homestake, in Sec. 15, T. 40 N., R. 10 W., in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 120 acres on the same lode as the Highland mine; formation is quartz-porphyry and dioritic schist; worked by means of tunnels; high grade (pocket) gold extracted, which has made the property noted; discovered in 1902; elevation is 6100 feet; has produced several thousand dollars in high grade; 2-mile trail from wagon road.

Hooper Hill, formerly known as Preckel, in Sec. 21, T. 45 N., R. 10 W., in the Scott Bar mining district, 1/2 mile southeast of Scott Bar in the Klamath Reserve. comprises 20 acres along Scott River; slate bedrock; 20 feet of gravel; water from Pat Ford Creek through 1 mile of ditch; equipment: one giant, 1100 feet of pipe

Hoosier Hill, in Sec. 36, T. 46 N., R. 11 W., in the Hamburg Bar mining district, 1/2 mile west of Hamburg Bar in the Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 32 acres of patented ground, located in 1856; bedrock is schist; 20 to 50 feet of gravel; two giants and 800 feet of pipe;

Huey Hill, in Sec. 25, T. 18 N., R. 6 E., in the Happy Camp Mining district, 14 miles north of Happy Camp in Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 40 acres, patented; schist bedrock; 20 feet of gravel; two giants and pipe; .


Hummer, in Sec. 18, T. 40 N., R. 7 W., in Callahan mining district; Claims worked to a limited extent by shallow shafts and open cuts; formation is serpen- tine, though the ore deposits are connected with dikes of quartz- porphyry which have penetrated the serpentine; ore lies in irregular bodies, consisting of pyrrhotite and other sulphides, carrying copper; ore said to contain nickel


Humpback, formerly known as Fagundez, in Secs. 4, 5, 8 and 9, T. 39 N., R. 11 W.. in the Liberty mining district; 3 miles south of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 80 acres of patented land on Eddy's Gulch; elevation 3400 feet; length along lode 6000 feet; ore shoot is 80 to 100 feet long and 1 foot wide; strike N. 20' E., dip 25' NE.; formation is slate; workings consist of 250-foot tun- nel, drifts and crosscuts; small producer;


Imperial Heights Imperial Heights, in Sec. 33, T. 40 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining district, 2 miles south of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Forest Reserve. ; comprises 40 acres on North Fork of Salmon River; slate bedrock; 20 to 80 feet of gravel; water from Shel- latoe Gulch through 2-mile ditch; 2 giants, 1700 feet of pipe small producer.

Indian Bar, in Sec. 30, T. 11 N., R. 7 E., 6 miles northeast of Forks of Salmon in Klamath Forest Reserve. comprises 40 acres; schist bedrock; 15 feet of gravel.

Inyo, in Sec. 2, T. 45 N., R. 8 W., in the Humbug mining district, 11 miles west of Yreka in Klamath Reserve at an elevation of 3100 feet. . Comprises 20 acres, discovered in 1909; short ore shoots in quartz-porphyry pocket mine;

Ironsides, formerly known as Little Wonder, in Sec. 26, T. 45 N., R. 8 W., in Greenhorn mining district. 7 miles southwest of Yreka, in Klamath Reserve. worked as a pocket mine; three short tunnels; small producer of high grade ore.

J. Walker, of Greenview, has a deposit of grayish colored clay of good quality, located in Sec. 32, T. 43 N., R. 9 W., M. D. M.; a good grade of bricks manufactured at one time.


Jack Lowden, in Sec. 13, T. 46 N., R. 12 W., in the Seiad mining district, 10 miles west of Hamburg Bar in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 140 acres of patented land along the Klamath River; slate bedrock; 5 to 40 feet of gravel; water from 853 Walker Creek through 2 1/2-mile ditch of 1500 inches capacity; one giant and 2500 feet of pipe;

Jackson see Buckeye Bar

Joe Ramus, in Sec. 6, T. 45 N., R. 10 W., in the Scott Bar mining district, 3 miles north of Scott Bar, on Scott River in the Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 60 acres; slate bedrock; 20 feet of gravel; water from Tom Creek; through 2 1/2 miles of ditch; equipment: two giants and 1000 feet of pipe;

John Miller, in Sec. 3, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., in Hawkinsville mining district, 4 miles north of Yreka. in Klamath Forest Reserve; 40 acres patented; 10 feet of gravel; slate bedrock.

Johnson and China Paul, in Sec. 12, T. 43 N., R. 10 W., in Quartz Valley mining district, 7 miles north of Greenview. Comprises 80 acres; 200-foot ore shnot, 10 inches wide, in diabase; 680-foot tunnel; some rich pockets extracted from Johnson claim;

Jumbo see Ruby Basin

Kangaroo, , in Sec. 29, T. 40 N., R. 7 W., in the Callahan mining district, 9 miles southeast of Callahan in the Klamath Reserve Comprises 60 acres; short ore shoot, in diorite and granitic-porphyry, 220-foot tunnel and 400 feet of drifts; worked for pockets; some high grade ore extracted.

Katie May, , in Sec. 24, T. 45 N., R. 8 W., in the Greenhorn mining district, 6 miles west ol Yreka in Klamath Reserve. Owner,; comprises 20 acres; located in 1886; relocated in 1900, short ore shoots in diorite and slate; 250-foot tunnel and 80-foot shaft; one stope, 60 feet by 4 feet by 50 feet; ore in sight consists of 100 tons,


King See Golden West

King Solomon, King Solomon, in Secs. 6 and 7, T. 38 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining district, 12 miles southeast of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Reserve, is another of the quartz producers of Siskiyou County. comprises 40 acres located in the eighties by P. Dannenbrink; length along lode 3000 feet; length of ore shoot, 230 feet; width 5 feet; strike north and south; dip 60' E.; footwall, quartz-porphyry; hanging-wall slate; ore free milling; workings: 130-foot shaft, tunnels, longest being 460 feet, over 1000 feet of drifts, cross-cuts and stopes, making in all several hundred feet of development work; equipment: cars, 30 h.p. boiler, small hoist, dwellings and an 8-stamp mill;

Klamath Hot Springs, in Sec. 27, T. 48 N., R 3 W., at Klamath Springs claimed good for rheumatism and blood diseases; several dwellings on the property.

Klamath River Gold Mining Company, in Sec. 15, T. 46 N., R. 7 W., the Cottonwood mining district, 12 miles southwest of Hornbrook in Klamath Forest Reserve.  Comprises 20 acres on old bar of Klamath River; bedrock is slate; gravel 5 to 20 feet deep; .

Klein, formerly known as the Casey, in Sec. 4, T. 39 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining district, 2 1/2 miles south of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 50 acres; slate bedrock; 30 feet of gravel; water from Eddy's Gulch through 1/2 mile of ditch; one giant and 500 feet of pipe; small producer.

Knownothing Creek See Hansen

Lewis see Big Ledge

Little, in Sec. 12, T. 46 N., R. 12 W., in the Seiad mining district; 10 miles west of Hamburg Bar. comprises 60 acres, located in 1899; ledge 39 feet wide, with northwest and south- east strike and dip of 20' E.; in schist and limestone; 40-foot tunnel.

Little Bonsa, in Sec. 9, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., in Hawkinsville mIning district, 4 1/2 miles north of Yreka. Reserve; 20 acres located in 1910; short ore shoot, 6 inches wide; two tunnels, longest 40 feet;

Little Queen see Morris and Carlock

Little Wonder see Ironsides

Lou Daggettt See Siskiyou River Ben


Lowden, formerly known as McCreary, in Secs. 2 and 35, T. 45 and 46 N., R. 11 W., in the Hamburg mining district, 1/2 mile south of Hamburg Bar in the Klamath Forest Reserve comprises 60 acres, 20 of which are patented, and follows the course of the Klamath River; schist bedrock; 10 to 40 feet of gravel; water from Tom Creek through a ditch 2 miles long; two giants and 1000 feet of pipe;

Luce, in Sec. 41 (sic), T. 41 N., R. 8 W., in tbe Deadwood mining district, 3 miles north of Fort Jones. comprises 160 acres, patented, located in 1907; dike in schist, 300 feet wide and can be traced for 1500 feet, and is of good quality taking a fine polish and easily worked; only small amount extracted from shallow cuts.



Lucky Strike, in Sec. 33, T. 41 N., R. 10 W., in the Liberty mining district, 9 miles southeast of Etna Mills in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 80 acres; short ore shoot in hornblende schist; 450-foot tunnel; some high grade ore found near the surface

Lucky Bob, in Sec. 2, T. 46 N., R. 7 W., in the Virginia Dale mining district, in town of Gottville. comprises 40 acres, being a bench and bar along the Klamath River; slate bedrock; 7 feet of gravel; old shafts from 30 to 50 feet deep; good producer
Lucky Strike, in Sec. 28, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., in Greenhorn mining district, 1 1/2 miles northwest of Yreka. 160 acres, located in 1865; formation, slate; doing development work; 1000 tons of ore in sight; four tunnels and one 80 foot shaft; nine men employed. Some ore treated in custom mill at Yreka.

Malloy See Oregonian Group

Maplesden see Happy Home

Marble Mountain, a very large belt in Secs. 16, 19, 20 and 21, T. 43 N., R. 10 W., M. D. M., is a noted landmark; the limestone is metamorphosed, producing all varieties and colors of marble, but principally pure white..

Marrian and Goodale, in Sec. 15, T. 40 N., R. 10 W., in the Liberty mining district, 9 1/2 miles southeast of Etna Mills in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 80 acres, located in 1903; short ore shoot,in hornblende schist; 480-foot tunnel; rich bunches of high grade found; 2-stamp mill driven by steam power has been a small producer;

McClaughry Group, McCraughry Group, in Sec. 8, T. 45 N., R. 8 W., in the Humbug mining district, 14 miles northwest of Yreka in Klamath Reserve. Comprises 80 acres; formation is dolomite; 160-foot ore shoot, 2 feet wide; free milling; 600-foot tunnel; ore reserve consists of 1500 tons,

Wm. McConnell's claim , Humbug Creek, took out in one season, $34,000; same claim, next season, $28,000; same claim, next season, $22,000; total, $84,000; pick and shovel,

McCreary see Lowden

McDaniels, in See. 6, T. 41 N., R. 9 W., M. D. M., on road from Etna to Sawyer's Bar seams of diabase through the marble and body of pure white marble much smaller than in the Parker deposit. McKeen see Cummings

McKinney Creek, in Sec. 9, T. 46 N., R. 9 W., in Oak Bar Mining district, 26 miles west of Hornbrook. , in Klamath Forest Reserve; contains 40 acres; schist bedrock; 12 feet of gravel; water from McKinney Creek through a ditch 2 1/2 miles long.
 
McMahon , in Sec. 25, T. 40 N., R. 9 W., in the Callahan mining district, 3 miles southeast of Callahan in the Klamath Reserve.; Comprises 40 acres, on the Scott River; schist bedrock; good pay in the soft spots; 150-foot tunnel; old 40-foot shaft (caved);

McNeal see Nordheimer

McNeals see Forks

Michigan-Salmon, formerly known as the Red Hill, in Secs. 19, 20, 21 and 28, T. 10 N., R. 8 E., 1 1/2 miles east of Forks of Salmon in the Klamath Forest Reserve, is one of the noted hydraulic mines in the Lib- erty district, and comprises 600 acres, 40 of which are patented. . These holdings, extending along the Salmon River for a distance of 2 1/2 miles, consisting of old river bars and benches, include the well known Red Hill, Missouri Bar, Cash, Clovis and Rocky Bar placers, which were good producers during pioneer mining days. The 854 general course of the channel is southwest; depth of gravel 20 feet; bed- rock consists of slate and schist; about 60 acres have been worked; water is obtained from Knownothing Creek through 1 mile of ditch and 3 miles of flume, having a capacity of 40 inches; the equipment consists of two Ruble elevators (which are 90 feet long, 8 1/2 feet wide and pitch at an angle of 17'), dwellings, three giants. pipe, good profit made from operations.

Milich , in Sec. 2, T. 10 N., R. 7 E., in the Liberty mining district, 5 miles northwest of Forks

McGuffey, in Sec. 16, T. 45 N., R. 10 W., in the Scott River mining district

Miller, in Sec. 34, T. 44 N., R. 9 W., in the Callahan mining district, 5 miles southeast of Callahan in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 20 acres; schist bedrock; 40 feet of gravel; 2 tunnels l00 and 60 feet in length on the bedrock; water from Jackson Creek through 1/2 mile of flume; no production since 1911; some good ground.

Monarch,, , in Sec. 7, T. 40 N., R. 7 W., Callahan mining district; 240 acres, patented; tunnels and shafts (shallow); sulphide ore.

Monarch, , in Sec. 8, T. 39 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining district. Comprises 40 acres, on Eddy Creek, at an elevation of 3300 feet; pocket mine; 150-foot tunnel; pockets occur in slate;

Montezuma , in Sec. 20, T. 40 N., R. 8 W., in the Callahan mining district, in town of Callahan in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 20 acres on the Scott River; schist bedrock; 20 to 50 feet of gravel; Chinese working over an old dump; noted producer years ago;

Morrison & Carlock, formerly known as the Little Queen, is located in the Quartz Valley mining district, in Sec. 13, T. 43 N., R. 10 W., 4 miles northwest of Greenview, and comprises 60 acres of patented land. Iand has a production record of $500,000. Idle since 1907 on account of lawsuits. Altitude, 2800 feet; course of vein, N. 20' E:, dip 45' E.; vertical depth 400 feet (shaft, size 5' x7'); number of levels, eight;1200-foot drift to the west on this level; walls, limestone and quartz-porphyry; length of ore shoot 350 feet; width 16 inches; 1500-foot tunnel on vein; character of ore, brittle smoky quartz, free milling; mine equipment: 35 h.p. steam hoist, Gould water pump, cages, dwellings, assay office; reduction equipment: l0-stamp mill built by Union Iron Works, operated by electricity.

Mount Vernon, in Sec. 25, T. 45 N., R. 8 W., in the Greenhorn mining district; 6 miles southwest of Yreka in Klamath Reserve. ore shoots are 150 feet long and 2 feet wide, occurring in slate; strike N. 40' E.; dip 50' S.; three tunnels longest being 1200 feet on the vein; equipment: dwellings, assay office and 10-stamp mill driven by electricity, power being obtained by California-Oregon Power Company;

N
Native Son , in Sec. 13, T. 10 N., R. 7 E., in the Liberty mining district, 1 mile northeast of Forks of Salmon in the Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 20 acres; schist bedrock, coarse gold being found on same; 30 feet of gravel; adjoins Forks of Salmon mine; some good gravel.

. Nigger Boy, Nigger Boy, in Sec. 2, T. 46 N., R. 7 W., in the Cottonwood mining district, 5 miles southwest of Hornbrook in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 60 acres. located in 1898; formation 838 is slate and diorite; ore shoot is 180 feet long and 2 feet wide, two tunnels, 1000 and 80 feet long on vein; equipment: dwellings, mining tools, blacksmith shop, 2-stamp mill driven by steam and water power; 1 1/2 mile ditch from Ash Creek; under bond to Commercial Copper and Gold Mining Company, of Tallant, Oregon

Nordheimer, formerly known as McNeal, in Sec. 3, T. 10 N., R. 7 E., 5 miles southwest of Forks of Salmon in Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 60 acres of patented land on Salmon River; schist bedrock; 15 to 25 feet of gravel; equipment two giants, pipe and dwellings;; has been a good producer.



The Northern California Dredge Company, owning several acres of land along the Klamath River in Sec. 36, T. 46 N., R. 11 W., M. D. M., about 1/2 mile west of Hamburg Bar, endeavored to work their land by means of a suction dredge, which proved a failure. The dredge has been idle since 1911.

O'Donnell, in Secs. 3, 4 and 10, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., in Hawkinsville mining district, 3 miles north of Yreka. Owner, Mrs. O'Donnell, in Klamath Forest Reserve; 45 acres patented; worked since 1856; slate bedrock; 10 to 20 feet of gravel; small production

Ohio Group, in Sec. 8, T. 46 N., R. 6 W., in Fool's Paradise mining district; 7 miles south of Hornbrook. ; 60 acres, patented, located in 1903; formation, syenite and diorite base ore; 300-foot oreshoot, 1 foot wide; 500-feet tunnel.

Old Highland see Highland

Old Indian, in See. 4, T. 9 N., R. 8 E., in Liberty mining district; 9 miles southwest of Forks of Salmon, in Klamath Reserve.; Comprises 40 acres, located in 1892; short ore shoot in serpen- tine; 200-foot tunnel; old 120-foot shaft (caved), worked as a pocket mine;

Old Jackson see Fleetwood and Nannie S.

Old Vet and Eclipse, in Secs. 10 and 11, T. 45 N., R. 8 W., in the Humbug mining district, 10 miles northwest of Yreka in Klamath Reserve at an elevation of 3900 feet. Comprises 40 acres; two parallel veins in granite; three tunnels, Iongest being 100 feet;

Oregonian Group, formerly known as the Malloy, in Secs. 15, 16, 21and 22, T. 40 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining district; 3 miles northeast of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Reserve. comprises 60 acres, located in 1886; 160-foot ore shoot 5 feet wide, strike N. 30' E, dip 40' NE.; strong ledge in granite; 420-foot tunnel;only

Oro Grande, in Secs. 10 and 11, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., in the Humbug mining district, 12 miles northwest of Yreka in the Klamath Reserve. comprises 100 acres, located in 1860 and relocated in 1892 by present owners; four parallel veins, having dolomite foot and porphyry hanging-walls; 300-foot ore shoot, 2 feet wide; 300- foot tunnel and 160-foot shaft; one stope 80 feet by 4 feet by 40 feet; 10-foot arrastra run by water from Humbug Creek;

Overton, in Sec. 16, T. 40 N., R. 10 W., in the Liberty mining district; 13 miles southeast of Etna MilIs in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 80 acres. ore shoots are 100 feet long and 20 inches wide, in dioritic schist; 420-foot tunnel, drifts and stope; 120 tons of ore on the dump, which is carried on mules to the Advance mill, a distance of 2 miles (5 mules handle 1 ton each trip, or 8 tons per day); small producer.

Paine, in Sec. 21, T. 46 N., R. 9 W., 28 1/2 miles west of Hornbrook in the Oak Bar mining district in the Klamath Forest Reserve. schist bedrock; 8 feet of gravel; comprises 20 acres. .

Paradise Flat, in Sec. 29, T. 40 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining district, 1/8 mile west of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 40 acres, patented along North Fork of the Salmon River; slate bedrock; 10 to 50 feet of gravel; old bench; 1000- foot tunnel; only worked on a small scale; said to have produced $140,000; seems to be a second bench, carrying good pay.

Parker, in Sec. 32, T. 42 N., R. 9 W., near Etna. ; belt from 100 to 200 feet wide at elevation of 4000 feet; marble heavily bedded, in places being perfectly white and fine-grained, while in other places it is pink-colored and very coarsely crystalline; worked to a limited extent.

Peter Smith, of Etna, owns a bank of clay in Sec. 21, T. 42 N., R. 9 W., M. D. M. This deposit consists of 4 feet of clay of good quality,.

Phillips, in Sec. 6, T. 46 N., R. 12 W., in the Seiad mining dis- trict; 14 miles west of Hamburg Bar. Comprises 40 acres, located in 1900; ledge 30 to 100 feet wide, with northwest and southeast strike and dip 35- E.; in schist and limestone; 110-foot tunnel; strong gossan cropping traceable for 1500 feet;

Pilot Knob, in Secs. 23, 24 and 26, T. 47 N., R. 7 W., in the Virginia Bar mining district 3 miles north of Gottville in Klamath Reserve. Comprises 310 acres; formation, hornblende schist; three veins; length and width of ore body not determined; crosscut tunnel 340 feet long, not in ore as yet; several small tunnels in ore; ore is free milling and runs $20 per ton; equipment consists of assay office, several dwellings, 600 feet of aerial tramway; 5-stamp Risdon Iron Works mill (850-pound stamps) run by water power; two men employed; last ore milled gave returns of $18 per ton from 16 tons; located in 1882.

Pine Grove From Pine Grove Mine, from a pit 100 feet square, on bedrock, and 18 feet deep, $6,000 was extracted

Pine Grove, hydraulic mine, in Sec. 10., T. 46 N., R. 9 W., in the Oak Bar mining district; is one of the famous placer properties on the Klamath River. It is 28 miles west of Hornbrook at an elevation of 2600 feet and comprises an old river bar containing 100 acres. The pay gravel is over 1000 feet wide in places, with a depth of 18 feet and a northeast and southwest course, following the south bank of the Klamath River. The bedrock is schist of medium hardness, and coarse gold is found here. It was formerly worked with hydraulic elevators, but at present a drag scraper is used to convey the gravel to the sluice boxes, a 2-reel steam hoist being attached to the scraper. Water for the sluice boxes is pumped from the river. Wood is the fuel used. about 30 acres have been worked 855 and some of this ground, removed years ago, was very rich. From a pit 100 feet square on bedrock, at a depth of 18 feet, over $6000 was taken out. In one day $300 of bedrock pay was panned out.
Pine Grove Mine, from a pit 100 feet square, on bedrock, and 18 feet deep, $6,000 was extracted.

Plutus, in Secs. 12 and 14, T. 40 N., R. 8 W., in Callahan mining district; comprises five claims; ore, (pyrrhotite with small percentage of copper); occurs in gabbro and serpentine. .

Polar Bear, in Sec. 12, T. 40 N., R. 8 W., in the Callahan mining district; comprises one claim; ore bodies 6 feet wide, consisting of chalcopyrite and pyrrhotite, in serpentine; 200 tons extracted, said to carry 17% copper.

Portuguese, in Sec. 4, T. 46 N., R. 12 W., in the Seiad mining district, 12 miles west of Hamburg Bar in the Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 140 acres of patented land along the Klamath River; schist bedrock; 20 to 50 feet of gravel, with from 4 to 10 feet of cemented gravel in places, requiring blasting; water is obtained from Portuguese Creek through 1 1/2-mile ditch; equipment consists of three No. 2 giants, dwellings and 2500 feet of pipe; yearly production from $10,000 to $15,000; about 30 acres have been worked to date


Portuguese Company, at Oak Bar, took out, with eleven men and use of derrick, in three days, by hand shoveling, $3000, or at rate of $1000 per day.

Poverty Point, in Sec. 18, T. 46 N., R. 9 W., in the Oak Bar mining district, 32 miles west of Hornbrook on Klamath River. 200 acres (40 acres patented); located in 1876; in Klamath Reserve; country rock, schist and diorite; 20 feet of gravel; 2400-foot tunnel (caved); produced $23,000.

Preckel see Hooper Hill

Preston Peak, at head of South Fork of Indian Creek, 1 1/2 miles north of Preston Peak; ; ledge 20 to 30 feet wide, in diorite; ores are pyrite and chalcopyrite; 300-foot tunnel in ore; ore said to carry 12% copper with gold; one of the pioneer discoveries of the Siskiyou belt.



Prospect Hill, in Sec. 30, T. 12 N., R. 6 E., 11 miles from Orleans in the Cottage Grove mining district in Klamath Reserve. several small tunnels in porphyry; free milling, 3-stamp mill; small production.

Providence, in Sec. 18, T. 43 N., R. 9 W., in the Oro Fino mining district, 5 miles northeast of Greenview. comprises 40 acres; short ore shoot in diabase; worked for pockets; 650-foot tunnel; small producer.

Quartz Gulch see Wingate Hill

Quarts Hill, in Sec. 16, T. 45 N., R. 10 W., in the Scott River mining district, 1/2 mile south of Scott Bar on Scott River in Klamath Reserve.; comprises 45 acres of patented land on Quartz Hill, located in 1862; ore occurs in slate, and has heen worked both as a quartz and hydraulic mine, the surface having been worked as a placer deposit at one time; water is obtained from Mill Creek through two ditches, one 6 miles and the other 5 miles in length; the strike is northeast and southwest; the bedrock, so-called, consists of alternate beds of slate and quartzite, enclosed by two parallel dikes, 1800 feet apart. The whole mass is crushed by these dikes of quartzite; practically only the surface has heen worked; yearly production is from $10,000 to $12,000; equipment consists of old 10- stamp mill, two giants, and 1500 feet of pipe; some rich pockets found in the quartz seams.
Rainbow, Rainbow, in Sec. 24, T. 40 N., R. 5 W., in the Mt. Eddy mining district, 4 miles southwest of Sisson; comprises 300 acres; tunnels and open cuts; one tunnel 400 feet long; ledge is 6 feet wide, in serpentine; ore is massive sul- phides; gossan croppings 100 to 600 feet wide are exposed a mile on a spur of Mt. Eddy, having a strike of 70- NW. ancl dip of 60-; company's railroad near property ; property was first worked for gold, thirty years ago. Idle. Bibl.: Bull. No. 50, p. 125. Rainbow, in Sec. 24, T. 40 N., R. 5 W., in the Mt. Eddy mining district, 4 miles southwest of Sisson; owned by Wood & Sheldon Lum- ber Company; comprises 300 acres; tunnels and open cuts; one tunnel 400 feet long; ledge is 6 feet wide, in serpentine; ore is massive sul- phides; gossan croppings 100 to 600 feet wide are exposed for over 820

Ramis See Dick Morris

Red Hill, Red Hill, in Sec. 4, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., in the Hawkinsville mining district; 5 miles north of Yreka in Klamath 840 Reserve; 13-inch vein; free milling; 40 acres, located in 1903; three tun- nels, one 304 feet long; formation quartz-porphyry; ore treated in cus- tom mill at Yreka. Produced $6,000.

Red Hill see Michigan-Salmon

Red Hill see Russian Hill

Reeder Group, Reeder Group, in Sec. 8, T. 46 N., R. 7 W., in Fool's Paradise mining district; 6 1/2 miles south of Hornbrook. I20 acres, located in 1875; formation slate; three tunnels, longest 250 feet; rich pockets taken out on Bonanza claim, largest being $20,000; said to have produced $50,000 to date; .
 
Reeves see China Creek

Robinson Gulch, in Sec. 18, T. 40 N., R. 10 W., in the Liberty mining district, 14 miles southeast of Etna Mills at an elevation of 5400 feet. ; comprises 80 acres located in 1903; short ore shoot in hornblende schist; 100-foot tunnel; only do assessment work; small pocket discovered on the surface.
Rothrop, , in Secs. 5, 6, 7 and 8, T. 43 N., R. 8 W., 4 miles nortb- east of Fort Jones; comprises 15 claims; developed by shafts and tunnels; ledge 6 feet wide in serpentine; some of the ore is reported to carry 20% copper. .

Rough & Frye, in Sec. 30, T. 12 N., R. 6 E., 11 1/2 miles from Orleans, in the Cottage Grove mining district in Klamath Reserve. ; 40 acres located in 1913; 175-foot tunnel and open cuts on surface for 600 feet; vein is 11 feet wide; free milling; some ore runs $15 per ton;

Ruby Basin, formerly known as the Jumbo, in Sec. 36, T. 40 N.. R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining district; 4 miles east of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 100 acres on White's Gulch; 160-foot ore shoot; free milling, 3 feet wide, north and south strike and dip 40' E.; in slate, 800-foot tunnel, 500 feet of drifts and 60-foot stope; old 10-stamp mill, driven by water power; small producer at one time.

Russian Dump see Russian Hill

Russian Hill, formerly known as Russian Dump, Ahlgren, and Red Hill, in Secs. 23 and 24, T. 40 N., R. 12 W., in the Liberty mining district, 5 miles west of Sawyer's Bar. Comprises 80 acres on North Fork of Salmon River; slate bedrock; 40 to 80 feet of gravel; water from North Fork of Little Salmon River, through 3- mile ditch; two giants, 2800 feet of pipe and derrick; good producer, having been worked since the eighties;
Rycroft, in Sec. 14, T. 39 N., R. 9 W., in the Callahan mining district, 6 1/2 miles southwest of Callahan in the Klamath Forest Reserve. comprises 60 acres, on Slide Creek; schist bedrock; 20 to 40 feet of gravel; two giants and 1000 feet of pipe; considerable gold extracted in past years.

                                                                                           S

Saint Lawrence, in Sec. 12, T. 43 N., R. 10 W., in the Quartz Val- ley mining district, 6 miles north of Greenview. Comprises 20 acres; pockets in the quartz-porphyry; 220-foot tunnel.

Santana Brothers, in Sec. 11, T. 45 N., R 7 W., in Hawkinsville mining district, 2 1/2 miles north of Yreka. 60 acres located in 1856; 7 feet of gravel; slate bedrock; small production. .

Sauer Kraut, in Sec. 34, T. 11 N., R. 7 E., in the Liberty mining district, 9 miles southwest of Forks of Salmon in Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 40 acres of patented land; slate bedrock, 15 feet of gravel; produces about $2000 per year; rich gravel in the early days.

Schuler, in Sec. 16, T. 45 N., R. 10 W., in the Scott River mining district in the town of Scott Bar in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 20 acres on Scott River; slate bedrock; 20 to 30 feet of gravel; 60 feet tunnel in river bank; only do assessment work; some rich ground worked at one time.

The Scott River Dredging Company operated a dredge on the Scott River near Callahan during 1908 and 1909. The project was finally abandoned and the machinery sold to the Trinity Dredging Company, and hauled to Trinity Center, Trinity County, where it was installed.

Scott Springs,, in Sec. 7, T. 39 N., R. 3 W., 3 miles north of Dunsmuir; water and formation similar to Shasta Springs.

Seiad, in Sec. 11, T. 46 N., R. 12 W., in the Seiad mining district, 9 1/2 miles west of Hamburg Bar in Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 60 acres along the Klamath River; schist bed- rock; 5 to 20 feet of gravel; water from Seiad Creek through 2-mile ditch; giant and pipe;

Shasta Springs, on the Oregon branch of the Southern Pacific Rail- road in Sec. 12, T. 39 N., R. 3 W., , and the only water from Siskiyou County on the market. These springs were first brought to notice during the con- struction of the railroad in 1887. The three springs--Shasta, Glacier and Keystone--are all about 300 feet apart. The water has a temperature of 51' F., and contains con- siderable carbonic acid gas, magnesium, potassium, iron, and a little manganese, lithium and arsenate. The bedrock is tufa, overlaid with doleritic lava. The equipment consists of bottling works and dwellings.

Sheba see Golden Eagle

Sheffield see Uncle Sam Consolidated

Shiner,, in Sec. 7, T. 46 N., R. 12 W., in the Seiad mining district; 12 miles west of Hamburg Bar.. Comprises 40 acres, at an elevation of 2000 feet; located in 1899; ledge 30 to 100 feet wide, with northwest and southeast strike and dip of 30- E., in schist and limestone; 80-foot tunnel; strong gossan cropping; ore is chalcopyrite

The Siskiyou Coal Manufacturing Company's holdings near Horn- brook have been exploited by several open cuts along the croppings. The vein is 5 feet wide, with 30 inches of good lignite. Coal has been reported near Oak Bar,


Siskiyou Dredging Company Only one dredge in operation in Siskiyou County during the year 1913. is working on McAdams Creek, some 5 miles north of the town of Fort Jones.

Siskiyou Klondike, in Secs. 15 and 16, in the Oak Bar mining district, 24 miles west of Hornbrook in Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 40 acres; bedrock schist; 10 feet of gravel; 2-mile ditch from McKinney Creek; located in 1865; some production.


Siskiyou Mineral, in Secs. 33 and 34, T. 48 N., R. 9 W., 14 miles northwest of Walker. water contains con- siderable iron and magnesia, and said to be good for blood diseases; conducted as a summer resort; several dwellings on the property.

Siskiyou Mines Company, in Secs. 2, 1, 6, 7, 5, 12 and 18, T. 16 and 17 N., R 7 and 8 E., in the Happy Camp mining district, in town of Happy Camp, is the largest hydraulic mine in this section. . These holdings, comprising 1500 acres, of which 640 are patented, follow the Klamath River and include several famous old placer claims which were rich and which were only superficially worked by the early miners.
The general course of the channel is northwest and southeast; bedrock is schist; gravel from 10 to 60 feet deep, consisting of bars and benches; water is obtained from Thompson Creek, through 3 miles of ditch and 10 miles of flume; equipment consists of five giants, several thousand feet of pipe

Siskiyou Quicksilver Mining Company, of San Francisco, comprise several acres on the headwaters of the West Fork of Beaver Creek, some 15 miles west of Cole's Station. The development consists of several hundred feet of tunnelling and drifts. The reduction plant consists of a 10-ton furnace. Idle for some time; had a small production.

Siskiyou River Bend see Lou Daggett

Slide Creek see Belle Josephine

Skelton , in Sec. 26, T. 41 N., R. 9 W., in the Liberty mining district, 5 miles southeast of Etna Mills in the Klamath Reserve.  Comprises 20 acres, located in 1893; 130-foot vein, 4 feet wide, but base in character and probably too low grade to pay to work, as it only carries $3 in gold per ton, 2% copper and a little silver2.
Slumway, in Sec. 3, T. 10 N., R.7 E., in the Liberty mining district, 4 1/2 miles northwest of Forks of Salmon in Klamath Forest Reserve. comprises 40 acres of patented ground; schist bedrock; 30 feet of gravel; water from Slumway Creek, through 3 mile ditch.

Soapstone is found in several places in Siskiyou County, a large expose being noted in the northeast sections of T. 45 N., R. 11 W., south- east of Hamburg Bar, having a course of N. 50' E. and can be traced toward the ridge west of Scott River and is 50 feet wide; it is of good quality and resists the effect of fire for years in fireplaces; also used in sheets 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick for stove backs. There is another large belt south of Marble Mountain, in T. 13 N., R 8 E., H.M, near the head of Wolley Creek.

Southern Pacific Railroad Company owns several quarries in Sec. 29, T. 47 N., R. 6 W., near Hornbrook; stone breaks in large blocks, some weighing 4 to 5 tons; quarries worked by plug and feather method; sandstone used in construction of Jones & Horn buildings in Hornbrook, built in 1888 and shows no signs of weathering.

Specifmen, in Sec. 15, T. 40 N., R. 9 W., in the Callahan mining district, 5 miles west of Callahan in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 60 acres, on Craig's Gulch; short ore shoot in hornblende schist; worked for pockets, and some rich specimens extracted; 150-foot tunnel.

Squaw Gulch, also known as French John, in Sec. 1, T. 40 N., R. 9 W., in the Callahan mining district; 4 miles northwest of Callahan in the Klamath Reserve.  Comprises 60 acres; schist bedrock; 30 feet of gravel; two giants and 800 feet of pipe; water from Sugar Creek through a ditch 9 miles long, carrying 800 inches; worked only in winter; small producer; worked years ago as a drift mine and some rich gravel removed.

Star, in Sec. 12, T. 43 N., R. 10 W., in the Quartz Valley mining district, 6 miles north of Greenview. comprises 20 acres, located in 1882; pockets in the quartz porphyry; 700-foot tunnel.

Steele Quarry, in Sec. 27, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., 3/4 mile southeast of Yreka. comprises 100 acres, located in 1896; deposit just being opened up and its extent not determined as yet; plant consists of a crusher, operated by gasoline, cars, rock used on streets in Yreka.
 
Sterling, in Sec. 20, T. 42 N., R. 8 W., in the Deadwood mining district, 13 miles northwest of Fort Jones at an elevation of 7300 feet. Comprises 40 acres on east fork of Deadwood Creek; short ore shoot in slate and diabase; worked for pockets; some rich ore extracted; 620-foot tunnel;

Sturn, formerly known as the Colby, in Sec. 2, T. 16 N., R. 7 E., in the Happy Camp mining district, 1 mile north of Happy Camp in the Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 200 acres of patented land, on old river channel; schist bedrock; equipment consists of small reservoir to collect surface waters, 2 miles of ditch, one giant, and 1000 feet of pipe; production $2000 per season of three months; lack of water limits mining operations; good ground.

Sugar Hill, in Sec. 20, T. 40 N., R. 8 W., in the Callahan mining district, 5 miles southwest of Callahan in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 40 acres on Fox Creek; schist bedrock, 864 coarse gold being found in crevices in this bedrock; 320-foot tunnel, 40-foot shaft (caved); 20 to 40 feet of gravel, loose. Idle; only do assessment work; some good pay, extracted years ago..

Sulphur Springs, in Sec. 18, T. 47 N., R. 7 W., in the Virginia Bar mining district, 7 miles north of Gottville, on Empire Creek in Klamath Forest Reserve. comprises 20 acres; schist bed- rock; 3 to 5 feet of gravel; only small production in 1912.

Sundown, in Sec. 19, T. 47 N., R. 7 W., in Virginia Bar mining district, 4 miles north of Gottville in Klamath Reserve. comprises 60 acres: formation, diorite and schist; ore shoot 100 to 120 feet long, 2 feet wide; two tunnels, 150 and 800 feet long; 5-stamp mill driven by water power; I mile ditch from Dutch Creek; small production.

Sylvester Ramus , in Sec. 11, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., in Hawkinsville mining district, 2 1/2 miles north of Yreka. in Klamath Forest Reserve; 87 acres; water from lower Greenhorn ditch, 6 miles long; 5 feet of gravel; slate bedrock. Idle; worked each spring; small output.

T. A. Reynolds, of Fort Jones, had an old brick kiln, using surface clay, from a deposit in Sec. 11, T. 43 N., R. 9 W.

Taft
, in Sec. 30, T. 11 N., R. 8 E., in Liberty mining district, 9 miles northeast of Forks of Salmon by trail; in Klamath Reserve; at at elevation of 2800 feet. Comprises 40 acres, located in 1908; pocket gold in slate; 100-foot tunnel; small production.

Talc is a hydrous silicate of magnesia (4 MgO, 5 SiO2, H2O) that occurs in different varieties, of which soapstone is one of the most important. Soapstone is more compact and harder than talc and is used in the manufacture of many articles, such as bath and laundry tubs, switch- boards for electrical plants, sinks, griddles und many other articles. Talc is used as a powder, or flour talc, and as pieces sawed into various sizes and shapes. The flour talc is used in fireproof paints, electric insulators, boiler and steam pipe coverings, toilet powder, in the manu- facture of powder and other articles.

Taylor and Maplesden see Deep Channel

Tebbe, , in Sec. 32, T. 4 N., R. 9 W., in the Oak Bar mining district; 4 miles north of Oak Bar. Comprises 40 acres; ledge 30 feet wide in schist and limestone; 120-foot tunnel in ore.

Teddy-Avalon, in Sec. 18, T. 47 N., R. 7 W., in Virginia Bar mining district, 7 miles north of Gottville in Klamath Reserve. Comprises 40 acres; formation is granite; short ore shoot, 1 foot wide; 125-foot tunnel; little high grade taken out; free milling.

Ten Eyck, in Sec. 28, T. 12 N., R. 6 E., in the Liberty mining dis- trict, 3 miles northwest of Somes Bar. comprises 80 acres, slate bedrock; coarse gold found in bedrock crevices; two giants; good producer for a number of years; yearly production said to exceed $20,000;

Thomain, in Sec. 5, T. 39 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining dis- trict, 4 miles southeast of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 20 acres, on Eddy's Gulch; slate bedrock; 10 to 30 feet of gravel; water from Eddy's Gulch through 1 mile of flume; one giant and 800 feet of pipe; small producer.

Thompson Creek, in Sec. 8, T. 17 N., R 8 E., H. M., in the Happy Camp mining district, 8 1/2 miles northeast of Happy Camp on Thompson Creek comprises 40 acres, located in 1890; large massive beds in schist and serpentine, few open cuts, so that extent of marble deposit not determined; it is hard and takes a good polish; the crystals are large, white and translucent.

Tom Rogers, in Sec. 11, T. 45 N., R. 7 W., in Hawkinsville mining district, 2 miles north of Yreka. in Klamath Forest Reserve; 113 acres, patented; discovered in 1860; water from Greenhorn Creek; short season. Idle since May; 5 to 10 feet of gravel; slate bedrock.

Trail Creek, in Sec. 12, T. 39 N., R. 10 W., in the Salmon River mining district, 12 miles west of Callahan in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 100 acres on Trail Creek at an elevation of 7200 feet, reached by trail from Callahan. The fissure vein occurs between schist walls, with a strike of N. 40' W., and a dip of 60' N.; ore shoot is 300 feet long and 2 feet wide; workings consist of an 850-foot tunnel, several small drifts and a stope 200 feet in length; equipment consists of two 3 1/2-foot Huntington mills (capacity is 20 tons in twenty-four hours, through 50-mesh screen) run by waterpower; tools, ore cars owner claims an ore reserve of 3000 tons of rock; free milling; yearly production 1912 (seventy days' run) was $15,000; production to date $40,000: best prospect in the district.

Portuguese Company, at Oak Bar, took out, with eleven men and use of derrick, in three days, by hand shoveling, $3000, or at rate of $1000 per day.

Uncle Sam Consolidated,, formerly known as the Sheffield, in Secs. 3 and 10, T. 39 N., R. 11 W., in the Liberty mining district, 7 miles south of Sawyer's Bar in the Klamath Forest Reserve. Comprises 60 acres between White and Eddy gulches; located in 1873. Length along the lode, 3000 feet; length of ore shoot, 110 feet, and width 2 feet; vertical depth below outcrop, 300 feet; strike N. 20' E., dip 25' NE.; footwall, slate; hanging wall, quartz- porphyry; length driven on vein, 420 feet; ore free milling; water supply from White's Gulch through 1 1/2 miles of ditch and 1/2 mile of flume; old workings consisting of stopes and drifts are caved; equipment consists of dwellings and old 8-stamp mill, 780-pound stamps; producer for several years

Upper Soda Springs, in Sec. 24, T. 39 N., R. 4 W., 2 miles north of Dunsmuir. water is heavily charged with carbonic acid gas; formation is similar to the Shasta Springs section; water not on the market.
water from Ten Eyck Creek.

T. Hamilton, of Fort Jones, formerly


Van Brunt see Davis

Vesuvianite Vesuvianite is found on the South Fork of Indian Creek, 12 miles north of Happy Camp, dis- covered in 1901; outcrops for 300 feet along the hillside, above the creek, and large masses have fallen into the bed of the creek below. It is a hard and handsome stone, olive to green in color, and takes a fine polish. The associated rock is serpentine; the rich translucent green color, fine-grained sub-splintery fracture and brilliant luster, when polished, strongly suggest jade, and many have called it by that name; deposit has not been worked. This variety of vesuvianite also known as californite

Welch, in Sec. 1, T. 46 N., R. 12 W., in the Seiad mining district; 14 miles west of Hamburg Bar. Comprises 40 acres, located in 1899; ledge 30 feet wide, uith northwest and south- east course and dip of 40- E.; in schist and limestone; two tunnels, 30 and 60 feet long; strong gossan cropping.

Zarina, in Sec. 33, T. 41 N., R. 10 W., in the Liberty mining district, 9 1/2 miles southeast of Etna Mills in the Klamath Reserve. Comprises 100 acres, located in 1900; elevation, 6500 feet; ore shoot, 130 feet long and 2 feet wide; dioritic schist walls; 350 and 80-foot tunnels, drifts and stopes; equipment consists of dwellings and 5-stamp mill, driven by water power from lake above the property; small producer; best ore found in pockets,